Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was the winner in the casseroles category in Better Homes & Gardens "Your Best Recipes" contest. We had it last night and it was great!!
- 1 lb medium shrimp, in shells
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded Fontina cheese (5 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Fresh or frozen shrimp can be used. If frozen, thaw before preparing recipe. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and devein shrimp, removing tails. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Chop shrimp and set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In large bowl stir together eggs, butter, half-and-half, 1 cup of the fontina cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, garlic, pine nuts, chopped basil, and 1/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Stir in shrimp and macaroni. Transfer to buttered 2-quart casserole. Top with remaining cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through and shrimp pieces are opaque. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This tasted amazing!! It was also quick and simple to make!! I didn't have any fresh basil on hand so I used about 1 1/2 T. dried basil. It still had a pesto taste yet wasn't too overpowering!! Thanks for this great recipe.