Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve hot over freshly-cooked pasta. Note: Use only a high-quality olive oil and do not substitute vegetable or peanut oil. If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little of the pasta cooking water. Store any leftover sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, tightly packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- coarse salt or rock salt
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Place basil, garlic, salt and pine nuts in a blender or food processor. Whirl until finely chopped.
- With motor running, add oil in a thin stream. Scrape down sides to make sure all solids are well mixed. Continue to blend until you attain a smooth sauce.
- Add cheeses and give the machine one short burst to blend ingredients well.
- Serve hot.