Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Brown the meat and add about 1 and 1/2 cups water.
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, cinnamon, saffron and salt and pepper and sauteed onion.
- Cook covered ata simmer for about 1 and 1/2 to two hours.
- Meat should be tender and nearly falling apart stage.
- You may need to add water during cooking but you shouldn't end up with more than the stated amount.
- You don't want a watery stew.
- In the meantime, seed the pumpkin and slice into 2X2 inch pieces and peel.
- Brown on both sides in corn oil.
- The pumpkin should become brown in some places and somewhat flexible but not totally cooked.
- Add to meat and cook covered an additional 20-30 minutes until tender but not falling apart.
- A fork should go into the pumpkin easily but not break it up.
- Add the prunes the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- They shouldn't really cook too much but should get warm.
- Serve over hot basmatic rice.
I really love this recipe! It is great for cold autumn days! We always use beef, but I will defintley try it with lamb as well!