Stefado (Greek Beef Stew with Small Onions)
Stefado is a delicious Greek beef stew made with small onions, tomato paste, red wine and spices (typically bay leaf and cinnamon). It's super-easy and is scrumptious over rice or a heap of mashed potatoes.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs chuck roast, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 cups white pearl onions, peeled
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Brown beef cubs in olive oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Remove and set aside.
- Mix sugar into the drippings and add the onions, cooking until golden.
- Return beef to the pot.
- Mix in tomato paste, wine, wine vinegar, garlic, dill seed and rosemary.
- Place cinnamon and bay leaf in a spice bag of cheesecloth (or just add it and remember to fish them out of the stew later).
- Cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until tender (I usually have to add about a cup of water about halfway through).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Alternatively, you can bake this at 275 degrees F in your oven; adjust times accordingly, if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION