Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This Iranian stewed duck in sweet pomegranate sauce is best served with rice.
- 1 duck, cut into quarters
- 2 onions, sliced
- 10 oounces finely chopped walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Remove all the excess fat from the duck, season with salt and pepper, and brown the quarters lightly in a large dutch oven.
- Remove the duck from the pan and saute the onions in the duck fat until browned.
- Drain out the excess duck fat, then add the walnuts and 2 1/2 cups of water to the onions in the dutch oven.
- Season with salt and pepper and return the duck to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour until the duck is almost tender.
- MIx the pomegranate syrup and sugar with the lemon juice.
- Skim as much fat as possible from the dutch oven and then stir in the syrup mixture.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes until the sauce is quite dark.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.