Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
with only a few ingredients, this foolproof hearty dish is guaranteed to become a favorite winter staple. It fills you up in way that you are not too full or a little bit hungry.
- 3⁄4 cup kraft Italian dressing
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, such as beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 slices oscar mayer bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- Place dressing and meat in large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate 30 minutes to marinate. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large saucepan on medium heat 5 minutes, or until crisp. Remove bacon from saucepan: drain.
- Add onions and mushrooms; cook on medium-high heat 10 minutes., or until softened. remove meat from marinade; discard marinade. add meat, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes with their liquid, the broth and bacon to saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce hear to low; cover and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Simmer uncovered, 15 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
This recipe is nearly the same as a recipe of the same name I found in the Kraft What's Cooking magazine, Winter 2006 edition - the only difference was the addition of 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes cut into large chunks. Although this is a nice recipe, it lacks a little bit of flavour - maybe some garlic salt or basil would perk it up.