Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are easy to make mozzarella sticks that taste like they come from the restaurant. This is a Milwaukee/Wisconsin favorite.
- 10 egg roll wraps
- 1 package mozzarella cheese (Medium to large size)
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- marinara sauce, for dipping
- Take the egg and scramble it in a bowl.
- Get out a cutting board and lay an egg roll wrap flat on it.
- Cut a piece of mozzarella about 1 1/2 inches wide and 4 inches tall.
- Dip your fingers (or use a brush) into the egg and spread around the entire outer edges of the egg roll wrap.
- Place the cheese an inch inward from the top of the wrap and center it from the sides.
- Fold the inch or so of the wrap that you have so it covers half of the cheese.
- Use egg to make the folded edges stay down.
- Now fold the left and right sides of the wrap over the cheese and finally fold the cheese forward so that the cheese is encased in the wrap.
- Use egg again to keep the wrap folded once it is done.
- Refrigerate for about a half hour before deep frying.
- If done correctly, the cheese will not spill out into the oil once it gets hot.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
I've had these mozzarella sticks at the Carosel II, when it used to be on Prospect ave in Pewaukee, and also at Bubbas Frozen custard in Pewaukee, WI, and the Mineshaft in Hartford, as the previous reviewer asked. They are tasty, but I'd like to spice them up a bit. also, where does one procure egg roll wrappers?
Thanks for sharing this recipe. It was very easy and took just a few minutes to put together. I do recommend rolling the cheese sticks exactly as you suggest. I tried to roll a few of the cheese sticks at a diagonal on the wrapper and it did ooze a litte cheese. The ones I made using your method were perfect. Nick's Mom
Hi IM just wondering if these mozz stick are from THE MINE SHAFT in hartford wisconsin?