Better-than-storebought Mozzarella Sticks
photo by Lacy S.
- Ready In:
- 6 pieces mozzarella string cheese, each cut in half.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs (like Progresso)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying (approximately 2 cups)
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water.
- In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic salt, oregano and basil.
- In a third bowl, combine flour and cornstarch.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Moisten each mozzarella stick half in the egg mixture, then dip each one in the bread crumbs and finally the flour mixture.
- Repeat this 3-step process.
- By now your fingers are going to be a total mess; just hang in there, it's sooooo worth it!
- Carefully place breaded mozzarella sticks in the hot oil; don't overcrowd (only about 4 at a time).
- Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! These were so easy!! Not to mention extremely good. I made one exactly as you posted and the cheese just melted into a blob in the oil, the breading had hole in it. Soooo... I took a piece of the cheese dipped in egg mixture, then in the flour mixture, back in the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. I placed all of them on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and placed them in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Then I took them out of the freezer and cooked them in the oil for about 30-45 seconds. Then turned out great!! Thanks for posting!