Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy basic cake to make that you can add a few changes to dress up. A no fail crowd pleaser. Albert really likes this one.
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice (orange juice or water maybe substituted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, juice, extract, flour, and oil until well blended. Set aside
- Beat egg whites and salt in large mixing bowl on high speed until peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar (1 tablespoon at a time) beating until stiff but not dry.
- Gently fold egg yolk mixture with the egg whites. Gently combine well.
- Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan and bake for 1 hour or until tests done. When done immediately invert pan on top of a soda bottle. Cool at least 3 hours before removing so that it will not fall. When cool, loosen edges and remove cake from pan.
- Almond Chiffon Cake: Use apple juice for liquid and add 1/4 cup ground almonds to sugar-yolk mixture. Do not omit almond extract.
- Chiffon Cake with Sprinkles: Add 6 tablespoons of chocolate or other sprinkles to the batter.