Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is very basic and easy to make. It does not contain vegetables like a lot of other recipes do. Prep time includes boiling the chicken.
- Boil the chicken in the water and bouillon cubes.
- You can use any combination of chicken parts, just be sure to use chicken with the skin on.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the broth and chop the meat into bite sized pieces.
- Take 1 cup of the broth and add the egg and enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and cut into strips about 1x2inches.
- (dough should be about 1/8th of an inch thick).
- Drop the strips into the remaining broth (it should be boiling first).
- Simmer them for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces during the last 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper if needed.
This was pretty good, but time consuming. I used about 2.5 lbs of chicken legs. I wasn't sure how long to boil them, but it ended up being about a half hour, maybe a little over. I started with 3 quarts of water and after boiling the chicken, cooking the noodles, and the extra simmer time in between (because I never have everything ready!) when I made the dumplings, I ended with about 1.5-2 quarts of broth. Even cooked down that much it wasn't very strong flavored. I had to add quite a bit of salt and pepper to the pot. The dumplings themselves were good, dense and chewy.