1/1 Photo of Perfect Brownies
Eveyone's idea of the perfect brownie is different--but this is one that could possible be all things to all people--fudgy, chewy, cakey---. You can add whatever additions you like, nuts, chocolate chips, caramel, toffee bits, M&Ms, etc.--or enjoy them just the way they are. This recipe is from the 1999 edition of The Best American Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup pecans or 3/4 cup macadamia nuts or 3/4 cup pecans, toasted (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F with rack on the lower-middle level.
- 2Spray 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray.
- 3Cut a 16-x-8-inch sheet of foil into the pan and up and over two sides and roll up overhanging sides (you will use this as a handle to remove brownies after they are cooked).
- 4Spray the foil with non-stick spray as well.
- 5In small bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- 6In a medium-sized bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together (you can do this in microwave, or over a pan of simmering water).
- 7After the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar and vanilla.
- 8Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- 9Continue to stir until the mixture is completely smooth and glossy.
- 10Add the dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.
- 11Stir in the nuts if you are using them.
- 12Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- 13Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with wet crums, 35 to 45 minutes (If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are overcooked).
- 14Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack fo 5 minutes.
- 15Using the foil handles, pull the cooked brownie from the pan and turn it out on the rack upside down, to cool completely, this will take nearly an hour.
- 16Cut the brownies into 16 squares.
- 17(Note: If you are not going to serve immediately, wrap the whole brownie in plastic wrap, then foil and refrigerae for up to 5 days or freeze).
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.0
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 58.7 mg
- Sodium 99.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 3.0 g