Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a nice difference from baked potatoes and makes a very good tasty side dish. Taken from the drawer of my mother in laws recipe box.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded*
- Combine potatoes and onions.
- Mix together butter and spices, drizzle over potatoes and onions.
- Toss to coat.
- In a 2 quart oval with flat bottom (or something similar) dish spread half the potatoe mixture top with half the cheese repeat one more time.
- Bake 40-45 mins in 400 degree oven uncovered.
- *I did not have any pepper jack cheese but did have some peppers and jack cheese so i chopped up the peppers grated the jack cheese and subbed this for pepper jack cheese.
These are the bomb. A nice change of pace for potatoes. They were not too spicy, but had a real nice mildly hot kick to it. Next time i might add more chayenne and chili powder, cuz i like my stuff pretty hot, but feel that it has perfect heat for most people. Thanks alot for the recipe!!!!
This has potential, but didn't quite work right for us. The potatoes still weren't quite cooked enough after being in for an hour and 15 minutes. Also, the next time I try this, I'll just buy a bag of hash brown potatoes and let them thaw out, instead of wasting time cutting potatoes into tiny cubes. Good taste, but we have to find a way to cook them more fully, without just leaving them in the oven forever.
Real nice change. I halved the recipe and used chipolte cheese. Nice recipe ingredients, temp, and time all seemed right on. Thanks!