Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Savory bread great with soups or lightly toasted to make croutons.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm water (105* to 115*)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2-5 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons shredded monterey jack pepper cheese, divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 2 cups warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add olive oil and salt.
- With an electric mixer, gradually beat in 3 cups flour, beating until smooth.
- Beat in cheddar cheese and 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese with peppers. Gradually beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead dough for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85*), free from drafts, for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Lightly grease 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans; set aside.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape into 10-inch loaves and place in prepared pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Gently brush each loaf with egg white and sprinkle well with remaining 2 tablespoons Monterey Jack cheese with peppers.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on wire racks.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.