Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick and simple vegetarian entree that provides starch, vegetable and protein for a balanced meal. Easy to prepare, even easier to clean up!
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (to taste)
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) bagprewashed chopped romaine lettuce (or wash and chop a head of romaine lettuce)
- grated parmesan cheese, to taste
- In a small skillet over medium heat or on a baking sheet in a moderate oven, toast pine nuts until golden and aromatic. Stir frequently and watch closely! Set aside.
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook penne pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil until shimmering.
- Add onion and saute until tender and just beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and saute for a minute or until fragrant. Do not allow garlic to brown.
- Add pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Add romaine lettuce and saute until tender and wilted.
- Add pasta and pine nuts; toss well.
- Remove from heat, dish and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
I agree with josmit, tomatoes would be very nice. I halved the recipe and added 2 large pinches of red pepper flakes. I didn't add as much romaine as was stated because I served it with a salad and gralic bread. My husband gave the thumbs up to have again.
This was a little bland for our taste. We loved the idea of it and the wilted lettuce was nice. We decided that chopped tomatoes would be a nice addition. Very, very easy to make!