Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentis show.
Make and share this Penne With Turkey Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl add bread crumbs, milk and mix until well combined.
- Mix in eggs and 1/2 cup Romano cheese and mix well.
- Add turkey and gently combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into golf-size balls.
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat.
- When almost smoking, add meatballs and without moving or turning the meat allow it to brown for about 3 minutes.
- Turn meatballs and brown other side.
- Continue to cook until all sides are golden brown.
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and allow meatballs to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and keep warm on stove, be careful not to overhandle the meatballs since they are soft and fragile.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of salted water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta, do not rinse pasta with water.
- Remove meatballs from sauce and place in serving bowl.
- Pour some tomato sauce over meatballs, leaving 1 cup sauce in skillet.
- Place the cooked penne into the skillet with the remaining sauce and toss well.
- Pour pasta into a large serving bowl and serve alongside of meatballs.
I made this meal using my own homemade tomato sauce and gnocchi instead of penne. I also diced up some sun-dried tomatoes and added them to the meatball mixture. They turned out moist and absolutely delicious. I've never made one of Giada's recipes and disliked it. Thanks for posting!
I bought ground turkey for something different, and then doctored this up with some parsley, basil an thyme, and it came out great.