1/4 Photos of Penne With Shrimp and Spicy Tomato Sauce
Paprika, cumin, and ginger lend their aromatic alchemy to a simple, no-cook tomato sauce. You can use the sauce with a wide range of ingredients(see Variations). One variation is vegetarian. With its competing spices, strong-flavored cilantro, and acidic tomatoes, this pasta dish calls for a simple Italian white--a pinot grigio, for example. Notes: I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/3 cup cilantro or 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 3/4 lb penne rigate
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled
- 1In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the olive oil and the lemon juice with the paprika, cumin, ginger, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and the cilantro.
- 2In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the penne rigate until almost done, about 12 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook until it and the pasta are just done, about 1 minute longer. Drain. Toss with the tomato sauce.
- 4Penne with Mozzarella and Spicy Tomato Sauce;Use 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch cubes, in place of the shrimp. Toss the cheese in at the end.
- 5Penne with Sausage and Spicy Tomato Sauce;Use grilled sausage cut into bite-size pieces in place of the shrimp. Toss the sausage into the pasta with the tomato sauce.
- 6Penne with Grilled Vegetables and Spicy Tomato Sauce;In place of the shrimp, use grilled or sautéed vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, or green beans, cut into bite-size pieces. Toss the vegetables into the pasta with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne With Shrimp and Spicy Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.2
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 465.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
crushed tomatoes in puree