Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is something I came up with when I didn't allow myself enough time to prepare dinner. The meat and veggies were supposed to be a filling for a stromboli, then I ended up using it for this pasta dish instead. It turned out to be a delicious dinner treat! You can change to ground beef, other peppers, pasta or a different cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings remove and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic. Cook until sausage is no longer pink and onion is translucent, stirring frequently.
- Add bell pepper, tomatoes, cream, salt, and Italian seasoning. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Toss sauce with pasta, Parmesan cheese, if desired.
An awesome pasta dish!!! I had a few mushrooms that needed to be used so I added those in with the sausage an onions. I also had only 1 cup of whipping cream so made up the balance with milk and a little corn starch to compensate. Not a low calorie meal by any means but so scrumptious. DH has already asked that we make it a regular here. I added some shaved Parmesan and some fresh basil before serving and would feel comfortable serving this to any company.
Yum, easy and delicious, my kind of food!!! I didnt have italian sausage so used some sliced cabanossi. I did use spaghetti, simply because DH felt like it, next time I'll use the penne. A lovely recipe, Vicky - rest in peace, my friend, gone too soon, always missed