Recipe by Roosie
"I made this. It's yummy with mini-sausages." - My Boyfriend. He's right. Time does not include refrigeration time or time to cook sausages.
Top Review by Pabbit
Well done recipe! I did not have the sausage so I used the bulk italian sausage I had. Rather than pasta sauce and tomatoes I used a can of chopped tomatoes. I made up for the consistency (thin) with half and half instead of milk, and I had to simmer it longer to thin it. But the concept of the recipe was great. I was going to make a pretty boring penne dish until I saw this! Loaded with great ideas!
- 1 (1 lb) box penne pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 lb chicken-apple sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces (either use pre-cooked or cook yourself in a 300°F oven for about 30 minutes.)
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄2-1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon blackberry jelly or 1 tablespoon grape jelly
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- oil or butter, for sauteeing
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, jelly, milk sour cream, pasta sauce and tomatoes well in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Sauteé garlic, red pepper, yellow pepper, basil and optional onion in oil/butter in a medium saucepan until barely tender.
- Add sausage, sauteé for 5 more minutes.
- Add mixture from the bowl to your pan.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to overnight (in refrigerator) to let flavors blend.
- Reheat and mix with pasta.
- Serve with grated parmesean cheese.