Recipe by Bev
For those of you trying to fit a little omega-3 into your diets, maybe you will want to give this one a try. From Gourmet, 1997.
- 1⁄2 lb penne or 1⁄2 lb ziti pasta
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, washed,dried,and chopped fine
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) canbrisling sardines, drained on paper towels
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a kettle of salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta until al dente and drain well in a colander.
- In a bowl toss together pasta, parsley, onion, capers, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle mixture with lemon juice and olive oil and toss to combine.
- In a 9- to 10-inch heavy deep skillet heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil over high heat until hot but not smoking and gently lower half of sardines with a slotted spoon into oil.
- Fry sardines until crisp and golden, about 1 minute, and transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Fry and drain remaining sardines in same manner.
- Add sardines to pasta and toss to combine.