Recipe by Doanique
I make alot of pasta dishes. I came up with this recipe when I didn't have time to make my homemade pasta gravy. If you love cheese you will love this recipe. It was a big hit with my father in law.
Top Review by JillAZ
Made this for PAC 07. This sauce is really good! I intended to make this just as listed, however, my family was starving so we didn't wait to bake it in the oven. I did double the sauce and will assemble one casserole to put in the freezer. I use Newman's own Cabernet Marinara for the pasta sauce and a can of contadina tomatoes with Italian herbs. I also used 1/2 sweet Italian turkey sausage and 1/2 ground beef. Excellent all purpose sauce on this. Was terrific even without the cheese and layering. Thanks!
- 16 ounces penne pasta (you can use any type of pasta you wish)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (hot or sweet - a good alternative is turkey sausage)
- 1 (28 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- mixed Italian herbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Sautee onion, garlic and bell peppers in olive oil for at least a minute in a large frying pan or dutch oven.
- Break up sausage and add to frying pan.
- Cook until no longer pink.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook until softened slightly.
- Add the black olives.
- Add the plum tomatoes and pasta sauce.
- Add some Italian herbs if you wish.
- Cook until heated through.
- Add the pasta.
- Stir well.
- Put half the pasta mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Then sprinkle half of the cheeses.
- Put in remaining pasta mixture and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- If you wish sprinkle some Italian herbs on top of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through.