1 hr 15 mins
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This is one of the BEST tomato sauces I have EVER made! Veganized from a recipe I saw made on the Barefoot Contessa byJoe Realmuto, executive chef and owner of the East Hampton restaurant Nick & Toni’s. This recipe, as we are told, is one of his most popular dishes. I watched and I was a believer. Sure, he baked the sauce in the oven for an hour and a half, and used an entire CUP of vodka... I thought: ditch the cream, replace it with Simple Cashew Cream, loose the cheese... I'm ready to try this!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 236.59 ml vodka
- 2 (1587.57 g) can plum tomatoes, whole (San Marzano are nice, but not necessary)
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 453.59 g penne pasta (I've even used whole wheat)
- 59.16 ml fresh oregano
For the cashew heavy cream
- 118.29 ml cashews, raw, unsalted
- 236.59 ml almond milk, unsweetened (soymilk ok too)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof saute pan over medium heat, add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- 3Add the red pepper flakes and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Add the vodka and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced by half.
- 4Meanwhile, add the tomatoes and crush them into the pan with your hands. Add 2 teaspoons salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- 5Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and place it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6While the sauce simmers in the oven, prepare the cream:.
- 7Add cashews and non dairy milk to a blender and blend until completely pureed and smooth, set aside.
- 8Remove tomato sauce from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- 9Place the tomato mixture in a blender and puree in batches until the sauce is a smooth consistency (or if you have an immersion blender, that would work well here). Return to the pan.
- 10Reheat the sauce, add 2 tablespoons fresh oregano and enough cashew cream to make the sauce a creamy consistency.
- 11Add salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta al dente. Drain.
- 13Toss the pasta into the sauce and cook for 2 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Penne Alla Vecchia Bettola
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.2
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 671.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: