Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
My Mom's potato salad recipe. I've never met anyone who didn't try it and declare it to be the best potato salad they'd ever tasted. Make it a day ahead. It's perfect with fried chicken. Boil the potatoes with their jackets on in a large vessel. If they're crowded together, they'll become rubbery. Use a dishtowel to rub the jackets off the cooled potatoes. I like to use a wire mozzarella cutter to chop the eggs, it maintains crisp edges on the diced pieces. I've made this recipe with actual cooked, chopped bacon pieces in the past and the imitation bacon bits are superior.
- 6 -12 small white potatoes, unpeeled
- 6 -12 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 cup imitation bacon bits
- 1⁄2-1 quart of best foods mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dill weed (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pickle relish (optional)
- Boil the potatoes, hard-boil the eggs. Use a dishtowel to rub the jackets off the cooked and cooled potatoes. Chop these in 1/4" to 1/2" chunks. Peel and chop the cooked and cooled eggs. Chop the green onions. Mix the potatoes, eggs, green onions and imitation bacon bits in a large bowl. Add enough mayonaisse to moisten the ingredients, but not so much that you drown them in mayonaisse. Add salt lightly and mix thoroughly. Do not over-salt.
- Best made at least one day ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- Optionally add Dill Weed, Yellow Mustard and Pickle Relish in small amounts. My mother never added these items, but I've found that they add something to the finished potato salad.