Recipe by mandz
These muffins are sweet, nutty and delicious!! They are an unashamedly decadent dessert that you don't need a special occasion to enjoy.
Top Review by Maito
I am rounding this up from 3.5 stars. We really liked the blood orange syrup and all the pecans. The directions were a little more complicated than your average muffin recipe though. I added a pinch of salt to the muffins. I also halved the amount of syrup (then used only 75% of the sugar), and it was still nicely sweet. I served these with fat free whipped cream. DH thought the texture of these was similar to a scone. Very creative, good luck in the contest!
- 5 large eggs, separated (or 6 small eggs)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar (divided, see directions)
- 100 g raw pecans (or pistachio)
- 50 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g fine semolina flour
- 1⁄2 blood orange, zest of
- 1 blood orange, zest of
- 1 cup blood orange juice, pulp-free unsweetened
- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice, pulp-free
- 425 g white sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 300 ml thickened cream (for whipping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 170 degrees centigrade. Grease a muffin tray with 12 holes.
- Whisk egg whites and a pinch of the white sugar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, add zest of 1/2 blood orange and remainder of the sugar to the egg yolks. Whisk with an electric mixer till the yolks turn a pale yellow colour.
- Chop pecans in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Fold pecans, flour and semolina flour into egg whites. Fold yolk mixture in gently to combine. Fold gently to keep fluffiness in mixture.
- Spoon mixture evenly into muffin tray and cook in preheated oven for 18 minutes.
- Add zest of 1 blood orange, the white sugar, orange and blood orange juices to a heavy based saucepan.
- Cook on high heat, stir to dissolve sugar. Cook until it comes to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer gently until it thickens slightly (about 8 minutes). Set aside.
- Whip cream until stiff. Fold honey through the cream.
- Make 12 blood orange segments by cutting each orange into 6 pieces and remove the skin.
- Take muffins out of oven and run a small spatula around each muffin to ensure they are not stuck to the pan.
- While syrup and muffins are still hot, pour 2 small ladles of syrup over each muffin while they are still in the muffin tray, reserving 125ml for serving.
- Serve one muffin with a tbsp of the whipped cream and honey mixture and a blood orange segment. Drizzle with 1 tbsp reserved syrup.