Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A caramelized nut layer over a shortbread crust, this cookie is for true nut lovers.
For the shortbread crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 4 cups chopped pecans
- For the crust:.
- Combine flour, baking powder& salt, set aside.
- Cream butter,sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients, stirring until dough forms a ball.
- Wrap dough and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Between 2 sheets of waxed paper roll the dough into a 15x10 inch rectangle 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper and invert onto a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.
- Remove remaining wax paper and if necessary, patch the dough.
- Prick the dough liberally with a fork to prevent shrinkage during baking, and bake 10 minutes (DO NOT BROWN).
- Cool completely and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- For the Filling:.
- In a large saucepan combine butter, honey,and both sugars and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir in nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in cream and mix thoroughly.
- Set cooled partially baked crust into a pan of the same size (this is necessary to prevent burning of the crust while topping caramelizes).
- CAREFULLY spread pecan mixture over partially baked crust (mixture will be extremely hot and can severly burn you).
- Bake 35 minutes in 350F oven.
- Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
- Once cool cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch stips, then cut diagonally at 2 inch intervals to form diamonds.
- **It is recommended that you do not use dark coated baking pans for this recipe.
- If you must, shorten baking time by at least 10 minutes.
This is exactly like a recipe I got out of the Family Circle magazine except that it called for 1/2 pecans 1/2 cashews. These cookies are absolutely delicious.