Recipe by MommyMakes
I love pecan-crusted fish. This is a light recipe, but you can serve it with a kicked-up tartar sauce as well.
Top Review by Texas Wine Girl
This was great! I made a few changes based on what I had. I had 1 lb. of tilapia, but didn't reduce the other ingredients. I used cracker crumbs instead of breadcrumbs, and increased the pecans to about 1/2 cup. Instead of salt and garlic powder I used garlic seasoning, and instead of buttermilk I used non-fat milk with a touch of non-fat half & half. I baked it at 400 for 20 mins., although 15 would've been enough. Thanks for a wonderful recipe, my husband couldn't stop raving about it!
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine breadcrumbs, pecans, salt, garlic, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Combine buttermilk and hot sauce (such as Tabasco) in a medium bowl.
- Place flour in a third dish.
- Dredge 1 fillet in flour, dip into buttermilk mixture, then into breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a large skillet (non-stick works best) over medium-high heat.
- Cook 2 fillets for 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily.
- Add remaining oil and cook additional 2 fillets.
- Serve with lemon!