Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this at allrecipes and love it!! Made this as my side when the main course was a simple roasted chicken. The only change I made was to omit the MSG.
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 4 slices bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons cooking sherry
- 1 pinch msg, to taste
- 1 pinch salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- Pour peas in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until peas are hot and tender, 5 to 7 minutes; drain.
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the fat renders and the bacon is crisp, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir onion into the bacon dripping; cook and stir with the bacon until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour cream over the bacon mixture; cook and stir until the cream thickens, about 5 minutes. Season thickened cream with monosodium glutamate, salt, and pepper. Pour sherry into the thickened cream. Add drained peas and mushrooms to the skillet; gently stir to coat.