1/2 Photos of Pearl Barley Pilaf
1 hr 30 mins
Rob R.'s Note:
This is a vegetarian variation on a Cooking Light recipe, which used chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/8 teaspoon vegetable oil
- cooking spray
- 7 ounces chopped onions
- 5 ounces chopped red bell peppers
- 2 1/4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 7 ounces uncooked pearl barley
- 14 1/2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch chopped green onion
- 1Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Coat skillet with cooking spray and oil; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce.
- 3Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- 4Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and spice mixture, and stir well.
- 5Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until barley is done.
- 6Let stand 15 minutes.
- 7Stir in green onions.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pearl Barley Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.8
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 275.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth