This is a vegetarian variation on a Cooking Light recipe, which used chicken.
Make and share this Pearl Barley Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄8 teaspoon dried mint flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3⁄8 teaspoon vegetable oil
- cooking spray
- 7 ounces chopped onions
- 5 ounces chopped red bell peppers
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 7 ounces uncooked pearl barley
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch chopped green onion
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and oil; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and soy sauce.
- Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and spice mixture, and stir well.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until barley is done.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Stir in green onions.