1/2 Photos of Pear Spice Bundt Cake With Walnut Praline Topping
1 hr 5 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Found this tasty adaptation of a circa 1992 Gourmet magazine recipe on www.joythebaker.com , a delightful blog up for an award for Best New Blog of 2009 on www.2009.bloggies.com . Give it a look & see whether you'd give her a vote (I did along with a vote for www.fark.com for the esteemed lifetime achievement award). She's got some tasty recipes for sure. Anyone resurrecting the much maligned American Bundt cake gets a hat tip from me anytime. I plan to make this & halve it immediately after cooling cake but before spooning on topping - will add topping to each half with the best looking one going IMMEDIATELY to dear neighbor's home as I strongly suspect this could become a main meal substitute if allowed to remain in toto in our house, LOL.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pear Spice Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 pears, peeled, cored and diced into roughly 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 to 1 1/4 cups of fruit)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled, and finely chopped (3 ounces)
Walnut Praline Topping
- 2Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F Butter and flour bundt pan.
- 3Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- 4Beat together butter, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes in a standing mixer or 4 with a handheld. Add yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
- 5Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately in batches, mixing well after each addition.
- 6Fold in pear pieces and chopped walnuts.
- 7Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks, then fold whites into batter gently but thoroughly.
- 8Spoon batter into pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely.
- 9Walnut Praline Topping:.
- 10Stir golden brown sugar, whipping cream and 1/2 cup butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until smooth. Boil 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in walnut pieces. Spoon warm topping over warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pear Spice Bundt Cake With Walnut Praline Topping
Serving Size: 1 (2363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7251.2
- Calories from Fat 4248
- Total Fat 472.0 g
- Saturated Fat 210.4 g
- Cholesterol 1381.3 mg
- Sodium 4181.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 714.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 47.2 g
- Sugars 448.2 g
- Protein 95.9 g