Baked French Toast With Praline Topping
- Ready In:
- 1 loaf bread (1 lb, Challah or Portuguese Sweet Bread work well)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
For Praline Topping
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Slice the loaf of bread into 1” thick slices.
- There should be about 20 slices.
- Butter a 9x13" baking dish, and arrange the bread slices in two layers.
- I cut some of the slices into triangles to be sure they fit into all the corners.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well blended, but not too frothy.
- Gently pour the mixture over the bread slices.
- Be sure all the slices are covered evenly, especially the ones on top!
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350.
- Combine ingredients for praline topping, and spread evenly over the bread mixture.
- Bake uncovered in oven for about 40 minutes, or until puffed, and lightly golden on top.
- (a few more minutes if you like it a little crispier on top!) Cut into squares and serve with warm maple syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is super easy and quick to prepare. Next time I make it I'm going to double the "praline topping" and use half of it on the bottom of my dish and layer the bread on top of that. Then I'll add the remaining half of praline topping on top as recipe calls for. That way you get praline mixture on the bottom slices of French toast as well as just the slices on the top. Also, felt it needed a little extra time in oven as others suggested. Keeper for sure!
This was so delicious and took no time at all! I made it for my annual Mothers' Day brunch. No one felt the need for maple syrup. I substituted a dense bakery bread (couldn't find challah) and used only 1/2 c half-n-half and 2 1/2 c soy milk. At the end of baking it did bubble up over the pan so be sure to put a pan underneath. I might try half the butter in the praline topping next time to cut back on the calories. This is a keeper!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>