Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I haven't tried this but since I love pears...how can it go wrong?? This came from an issue of Food Digest.
- 4 firm ripe Bosc pears (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- coarse salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon honey
- Prepare pears: peel, halve, core and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a medium saucepan with a lid, combine pears, 1/4 cup of water, lemon zest and 1/8 tsp of coarse salt.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cover and cook until pears are soft - 10 to 12 minutes.
- Uncover and coarsely mash with the back of a spoon. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and honey to taste.
- Serve warm or let cool, then cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.
Really great, simple recipe! I had some organic pears that were going bad (the green ones?) so I cored, sliced and chunked (left skin on). Couldn't get much lemon zest and didn't use salt. I also added 2 handfuls of fresh raspberries. I used my immersion blender to puree and added more honey, due to the raspberries. Wonderful taste.