Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderfully delicious way to preserve the sweet memory of summer and using up any extra pears you may have courtesy of the Michigan Dutch. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. Cooking time is approximate. If you are unfamiliar with modern canning methods, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- Force all the fruit through a food chopper.
- Place fruit and sugar in stainless kettle and cook until thick, stirring to prevent scorching.
- Fill hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace, adjust caps and bands.
- Process in a boiling water bath - half pint and pint jars for 5 minutes, quarts for 10 minutes.
- At higher elevations (over 1000 ft. above sea level), add 1 additional minute for every 1000 feet.