Fresh Pear Preserves
photo by Janie.Bird
- Ready In:
7 Half Pints
- 16 cups peeled sliced fresh pears (about 16 medium)
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a stockpot, combine pears, sugar, water and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until mixture reaches a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Remove from heat. Ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!