Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Decadent and delicious are two words to describe these turnovers. These simple hand pies are a wonderful savory-sweet dessert. The texture of the pear is perfect for a turnover, because it is soft and requires no precooking. The raspberry preserves add just a hint of sweetness, a nice counterpoint to the rich, creamy Brie. For convenience’s sake, these can be made up to several hours ahead, or even the night before, and baked shortly before serving. These are best served 15 to 30 minutes out of the oven.
Tender Cream Cheese Pastry
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, Softened (1 Stick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, Softened, Full-Fat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, Sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons raspberry preserves
- 1 large ripe pear, Peeled, Cored, and Thinly Sliced
- 1⁄3 lb brie cheese, Sliced
- 2 tablespoons milk (Adjust) or 2 tablespoons light cream (Adjust)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (Adjust)
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a wooden spoon, cream the Butter, Cream Cheese, and Salt together in a large bowl; stir in Confectioners’ Sugar, then add the Flour about ½ Cup at a time, stirring well. When the dough coheres, turn it out onto a floured surface (This can be made in a stand up mixer as well).
- Gently knead 2 or 3 times and divide the dough into 4 equal size balls; flatten into ½ inch thick disk and wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably longer, until firm enough to roll but not too solid.
- Lightly butter a large baking sheet.
- Mix Flour and Granulated Sugar together in a small bowl; Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll it into an 8 inch circle on a sheet of lightly floured waxed paper.
- Dot with 1 Teaspoon of the Preserves, spreading it around the center of the circle and then sprinkle with some of the sugar-flour mixture.
- Arrange a single row of overlapping Pear slices over half of the dough: leave a good ¾ inch border around the slices, following curve of pastry; sprinkle with Flour-Sugar mixture and lay one or two slices of Brie over the Pears to cover.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry and fold the empty half over the cheese; pinch the edges together making a sort of rope edge; place on prepared baking sheet and refrigerate while you make the remaining turnovers.
- Preheat Oven to 400 Degrees.
- Brush each turnover with a little Milk and sprinkle with Granulated Sugar; then poke the surface 2 or 3 times with a fork to make steam vents.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the center oven rack; Reduce oven temperature to 375 and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes (For even browning, rotate baking sheet 180 degrees 10 minutes before the turnovers are done).
- Transfer turnovers to a wire rack and let cool; while still warm, dust with Confectioners’ Sugar.