This cookie has it all--peanut butter, chocolate and a touch of red chile. A delightfully different cookie. The red sugar cracks, creating an interesting and colorful coating. These cookies freeze well. The recipe works equally well with Splenda and Splenda brown sugar blend. The recipe is adapted fromm Real New Mexico Chile Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons new mexico chile powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter and 1 cup white sugar and brown sugar until creamy.
- 2Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- 3Add the flour and baking soda, continuing to mix until well combined.
- 4Add the peanuts and chocolate chips, cover bowl and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- 5In a small bowl, mix together the chile powder, 1/4 cup sugar and cayenne.
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- 8Form heaping tablespoons of the chilled dough and roll into balls.
- 9Roll each ball in the chile sugar and place on cookie sheets, allowing 2 inches between the cookies.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden and just set.
- 11Allow the cookies to cool on cookie sheet 1 minute; remove to a wire rack with spatula cool completely.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peanut Cookies With Red Chile Crackle
Serving Size: 1 (1663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1489.0
- Calories from Fat 733
- Total Fat 81.4 g
- Saturated Fat 36.1 g
- Cholesterol 182.2 mg
- Sodium 1077.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 180.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 116.1 g
- Protein 29.0 g