Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted From The Barefoot Contessa's Food Network television show, 2007, entitled "Memory Lane".
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a 12 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt.
- Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Toss the remaining 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter.
- Pour into the prepared sheet pan.
- Spoon the peanut butter over the top of the chocolate mixture and using a knife, swirl it through the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough.
- Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes more or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not overbake!
- Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into large squares.