Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From an old cookbook collection of recipes from Home Ec teachers
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Oil a large rimmed cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup and water; mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Cook until temperature reaches 285°F on a candy thermometer, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add peanuts and butter; stir constantly and cook to 295°F.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and soda and stir well.
- Pour onto cookie sheet and spread as thinly as possible.
- When set, loosen from pan and flip over.
- Stretch and pullout the brittle until rather thin.
- When cold, break into pieces.