Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Southern Living
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw peanuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine peanuts, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in Dutch oven.
- Cook over low heat, stirring gently until sugar dissolves.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan.
- Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, to hard crack stage (300F).
- Stir in butter, soda, and vanilla.
- Pour into buttered 15-x10-x1 inch jellyroll pan, spreading thinly.
- Let cool.
- Break into pieces.
The brittle came out shiny and good. I added a dash of salt to the second batch and it improved the flavor.