Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A peachy keen way to serve up pancakes! Yogurt adds protein and helps leaven these exceptionally tender pancakes.If desired, other fruit yogurts can be substituted for the peach. From Country Living Magazine.
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 (8 ounce) container low-fat peach yogurt
- 1 small peach, peeled,chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more (for frying)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, with wire whisk, beat together egg, yogurt, water, 1 tbls.
- oil, and the vanilla until blended.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, gently stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- (Mixture will be a bit lumpy and thick, more like a cake batter than a traditional pancake batter.) Lightly oil a griddle or 6-inch skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Spread a 1/4 cup of batter on griddle to make a 4-inch pancake.
- Cook until bubbles form and begin to break on top surface; flip pancake and cook until bottom is golden brown.
- Remove pancake and keep warm on a baking sheet in 200*F.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil to skillet as necessary.
- Serve pancakes warm with maple syrup, if desired.
These pancakes are absolutely delicious! My father said they should get 12 stars! They're definitely a great way to get your fill of peaches during peach season. I used Peach soy yogurt for dietary reasons, and did opt to add a chopped peach. It didn't say in the directions whether the peach should be added to the batter or just served on top of the pancakes, so I chose to fold it into the batter right before grilling the pancakes, and that worked out great. I can't wait to try this with other fruits and other flavored yogurts! Thanks for a great recipe, Sharon!
These were nice thick pancakes. I didn't care much for the nutmeg however and will switch that out with cinnamon next time. We topped these with peach slices and peach syrup - for a really peachy pancake.
These pancakes are delicious. They are nice and thick, soft and fluffy. I like that the only dairy in here is the yogurt and that the water replaces where milk would be in other recipes. I also liked the ground nutmeg here. I used freshly ground. I added the chopped peach which made them burst with peachy flavour. Yum! Thanks Sharon!