1/2 Photos of Peach Custard Pie
1 hr 5 mins
Tracy K's Note:
Wonderful when peaches are ripe, and even works with frozen peaches (though it's not nearly as good). From the King Arthur Flour web site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pie crust, fitted into a 9 inch dish
- 1 cup sugar (7 1/4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup flour (1 ounce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon rum or 2 drops butter-rum flavoring (a scant 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 -5 ripe peaches, peeled and diced coarsely (3/4-inch cubes are about right, about 1 pound)
Gingered Streusel Topping
- 1Preheat oven to 425; prepare pie shell: Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and line it with pie weights (or a perforated nesting pie pan) to help the shell holds its shape; bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until it's lightly browned. Reduce oven heat to 400°F.
- 2Allow the crust to cool slightly before removing the weights or nested pan -- if the crust still managed to bubble, just prick it gently with a fork; it'll deflate as it cools.
- 3Prepare the filling: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and salt; add the eggs, cream, rum, and vanilla, and whisk together well.
- 4Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, or the time it takes to peel and dice the peaches; whisk again just before pouring the custard into the pie shell.
- 5(This resting time allows the sugar to dissolve.) Pour the custard into the pre-baked pie shell, and spoon the peaches on top.
- 6Some will sink; that's OK, they're supposed to.
- 7Use a piecrust shield or aluminum foil to gently cover the outer edge of the crust.
- 8Bake the pie in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- 9Make the topping while the pie bakes.
- 10Gingered Streusel Topping:If you have a food processor, just place all the topping ingredients into the work bowl and process, using the steel blade, until crumbs begin to form.
- 11To make by hand, whisk together the minced crystallized ginger, sugar, and flour, then stir in the melted butter.
- 12After the pie has baked for 20 minutes (it will have just begun to set up around the edges), carefully sprinkle the streusel over the top, leaving the pie crust shield in place.
- 13Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pie has puffed, the streusel is very slightly browned at the edges, and/or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the pie reads about 160°F.
- 14Remove the pie from the oven, and cool it on a rack for about 2 hours before serving.
- 15Refrigerate any leftover pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Custard Pie
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.8
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 102.2 mg
- Sodium 375.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 57.9 g
- Protein 7.3 g