2 hrs 20 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Every dream you'd see a black cat floating in your soup? Well you can now! And a tasty tidbit it will be. You might want to use those party sized pumpernickle loaves. The small sliced ones.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, rinsed
- 1 (5 ounce) bag baby mixed greens
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1MAKE SOUP:
- 2Sauté bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until crisp and brown. Remove and set aside.
- 3Add onion, carrot and celery to pan; sauté until vegetables begin to soften.
- 4Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute.
- 5Add broth, water, peas, bay leaves and thyme; bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot and simmer until vegetables are tender and peas fall apart, stirring occasionally, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 7REMOVE BAY LEAVES!
- 8Puree 5 cups soup in batches in blender and return to pot.
- 9Stir in salt and season with pepper to taste.
- 10MAKE CROUTONS:
- 11Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- 12Remove pumpernickel slices from freezer and let thaw for 5 minutes.
- 13Mix butter with olive oil in a small bowl.
- 14Use a cat cookie cutter to cut a shape from each partially frozen slice of bread.
- 15Lightly brush cutouts with butter mixture and arrange on a cookie sheet.
- 16Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool croutons in pan on a rack.
- 17To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Crumble reserved bacon on top.
- 18Add a cat crouton and a dollop of sour cream to each bowl.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pea Soup With Black-Cat Croutons - W
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.2
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.4 mg
- Sodium 872.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: