Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an old standby I've served as a side dish for years at potlucks and gatherings. I have also stuffed the pea mixture into cherry tomato shells (minus the tomato in the ingredient list!) as an appetizer. Enjoy!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen baby peas, thawed and drained in colander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 8 slices crisp bacon, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, small diced pieces (optional)
- Fry bacon and drain on paper towels to cool.
- Empty peas in a colander to thaw and drain.
- Meanwhile, dice vegetables into small pieces.
- Place peas in a bowl, adding sour cream, diced vegetables, bacon, cashews and seasonings. Small cubes of cheddar cheese can also be added if desired. Do not add salt until salad has been rechilled, because after flavors meld salt from cashews may be enough.
- Chill and serve in a pretty glass bowl.Enjoy!
Wow this was delicious! I make a pea salad using mayo... so I wanted to try something different. I'm glad I did, this was a huge hit. The melody of flavors with the dill weed and cashews mixed together with the sour cream mixture was wonderful. I made this the night before serving and it was still crunchy and I think gave the flavors time to mingle. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting. (Made for Bevy Tag)
I chose this dish for my X-Mas Eve menu mainly to combine the salad & veggie elements of our meal. While I am a fan of a classic pea salad, I found this melange of textures & flavours to be esp palate-pleasing to say the least. I made it a day ahead & was glad I did as the use of sour cream (vs mayo) improves on day 2 & the use of bacon is inspired. I made 1 chg & used pecans vs cashews because I had them on hand from my baking. I am sure cashews are great w/this & look forward to that taste sensation another time. Thx for sharing this unique twist on pea salad w/the *Twisted One* . :-)
This is truly a more than 5 star recipe...easy to make, Lovely presentation, delicious on the tongue and gets raves! Need I say more? Thanks for posting. Oh, yes, for a complete meal--one could add Chopped Ham...that would be nice. Made for CameraLess Chef Tag Game.