Recipe by Perfect Pixie
This low-fat starter is utterly divine, smoked salmon can be used instead of the trout if you wish
- 400 g whole smoked trout
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 lebanese cucumbers
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the pickled cucumber.
- Using vegetable peeler, slice cucumbers into ribbons.
- Combine cucumber in medium bowl with capsicum.
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Stir over heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Add vinegar to sugar syrup.
- Pour hot syrup over cucumber mixture.
- Cover, refrigerate until cool (this can be made a day ahead).
- Now make the flapjacks.
- Remove any skin and bones from fish.
- Break into large pieces.
- Sift flours and soda into a large bowl.
- Gradually whisk in combined buttermilk, skim milk, peas, parsley and half of the chives.
- Beat egg white in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold egg white into batter.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the batter for each flapjack in large heated oiled non-stick frying pan.
- Cook in batches until lightly browned both sides.
- Combine sour cream and remaining chives in a small bowl.
- Serve warm flapjacks topped with fish, pickled cucumber and sour cream mixture.