Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
We both loved this. Very light, fresh tasting, good-for-you salad and the flavor improves the next day. I love edamame beans (aka soybeans), they are widely available frozen if not fresh. This makes a great side dish for dinner, and eat the leftovers at work for lunch. Add a bit more cheese if you can afford the calories. This is a Sara Foster recipe, from the April issue of Cottage Living.
- 1 cup fresh edamame or 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1 cup fresh lima beans or 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 cup fresh green peas or 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 small lemon, juice and zest of (1 teaspoon zest, 2 1/2 tablespoons juice)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce pecorino cheese, shaved
- Cook edamame in boiling salted water about 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon, plunge in cold water and drain. Add peas to the boiling water and cook about 4 minutes, repeating draining process. Repeat with lima beans, cooking about 5 minutes.
- Combine lemon zest, juice and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until well blended. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place peas and beans in a medium bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Top with pecorino and additional mint if desired.
This is wonderful! I am able to get fresh soy beans at Trader Joes, so I made a special trip just to make this. I don't really like lima beans, so I upped the amount of edamames and peas. I didn't have white wine vinegar in the house, so I used red, but a little less than what the recipe called for. I also added just a pinch of sugar. The chives came from the garden. I used shaved parmesan instead of pecorino b/c that's what was in the fridge. I love the variety of greens in this salad. Very pretty. DD ate this right up. :) I'm having the leftovers for lunch today. Thanks for sharing. I'll make this again for sure! :)