Recipe by Ridgely
This is a great recipe from chef Paula Deen. The smell alone of this roast cooking will drive you crazy. The meat is tender and very tasty. Excellent!
Top Review by robingracejohnson
I have this recipe and love it!!! I always make mine in the crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours. The meat is so tender it just shreds apart, so I add in my favorite bbq sauce and have pulled pork sandwhiches out of it! Great to make for a crowd!!!
- 1 (5 lb) pork butt
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke (I only used 2 T., one for each side)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups favorite barbecue sauce
House Seasoning use 4 T
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix House Seasoning and store in airtight container.
- Sprinkle one side of the roast with 2 T. of the House Seasoning, making sure to rub well.
- Flip the roast over and rub the remaining 2 T. of House Seasoning.
- Repeat the process with the seasoned salt and liquid smoke.
- Place the roast in a large roasting pan.
- Add the onion, water and bay leaves to roast.
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until thermometer reads 170 degrees.
- Let meat cool and then slice.
- Serve with favorite barbeque sauce.