Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great recipe from chef Paula Deen. The smell alone of this roast cooking will drive you crazy. The meat is tender and very tasty. Excellent!
- 1 (5 lb) pork butt
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke (I only used 2 T., one for each side)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups favorite barbecue sauce
House Seasoning use 4 T
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix House Seasoning and store in airtight container.
- Sprinkle one side of the roast with 2 T. of the House Seasoning, making sure to rub well.
- Flip the roast over and rub the remaining 2 T. of House Seasoning.
- Repeat the process with the seasoned salt and liquid smoke.
- Place the roast in a large roasting pan.
- Add the onion, water and bay leaves to roast.
- Place in the oven and cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until thermometer reads 170 degrees.
- Let meat cool and then slice.
- Serve with favorite barbeque sauce.
I have this recipe and love it!!! I always make mine in the crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours. The meat is so tender it just shreds apart, so I add in my favorite bbq sauce and have pulled pork sandwhiches out of it! Great to make for a crowd!!!
I had an 8 pound roast, but I seasoned it according the recipe (I doubled the ingredients). I cooked the roast for about 4 1/2 hours until it reached the 170 degree mark. The flavor on the outside of the roast was ok, but nothing spectacular. I've had better oven cooked roasts. However, this isn't bad (3 star rating is "good").
I made this for a group and it was fantastic! No leftovers, that's for sure!