Pattypan is very mild-flavored, so my husband will eat it. And it's abundant, too, so we're always looking for ways to serve it. Served with fresh corn and sliced tomatoes, this is a meatless meal. Try a horseradish sauce for the fritters.
- Before shredding, cut out the stem of the squash, but there's no need to peel it.
- If the squash is large, more than 4 inches across, you may wish to cut out the bigger seeds.
- Preheat about 1/2 inch oil over medium-high heat in a deep skillet.
- Beat the eggs, milk and oil into the squash in a large bowl, then add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined with a few strokes.
- Drop tablespoons of batter into hot oil-- in a big skillet, you can cook up to 8 at a time.
- Cook until brown, turn with a spatula and cook the other side until brown.
- Drain on newspaper or other suitable draining surface.
- Serve with horseradish sauce, ketchup or whatever catches your fancy.