Zucchini and Yellow Squash Fritters
photo by race100miles
- Ready In:
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 small yellow squash, grated (or 1 large yellow squash)
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons other frying oil
- Remove seeds from the squash and zucchini, then coarsely grate them so that they have a rope-like texture. Using a food processor would work, too.
- Add 1 tsp salt to the zucchini and squash and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then remove as much water as possible from the zucchini and squash. You can do this by placing it in a colander and pressing with a spoon, or by wrapping it in a clean dishcloth and squeezing.
- Add onion, cheese, parsley, and the egg, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder, then add the flour into your zucchini and squash mixture and mix well.
- Heat the 2 tbs oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Then drop handfuls of the mixture into the oil and flatten with your spatula. Let them fry on one side for 2:30-3 minutes, then flip and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan and place them on a paper towel to drain. Repeat until you've used all your batter.
- Serve warm, with sour cream for dipping.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!