Recipe by Irmgard
One of my favourite Greek dishes is pastitsio, which was introduced to me by my sister, who lives in Greece. She doesn't have any particular recipe that she follows so I had to look for a version that was close to hers, having watched once while she prepared it. This one from Easy Greek-Style Cookery is the closest to hers in taste and ingredients used.
Top Review by SME_Cook
This was a fantastic dish! The only thing I did different was add some dry mint, which we love in our house. Oh, and I used ground turkey instead of beef. I was able to make two smaller casseroles out of this one recipe and it fed us just fine (2.5 people). I was going to freeze the second one, but my husband wanted to eat it the very next night! I think the re-heated dish was a little dry, but still very tasty! Fantastic!
- 8 ounces penne
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato puree
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Add the pasta to a large pan of boiling water; boil, uncovered, until just tender; drain.
- Combine the hot pasta, eggs and cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
- Put to one side.
- To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and ground beef and cook, stirring, until the meat is well browned.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato paste, beef stock, wine and cinnamon; simmer uncovered until thick; cool.
- Stir in the egg.
- To make the topping, melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour.
- Stir over low heat until bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk.
- Stir over low heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Stir in the cheese and cool slightly.
- Stir in the egg yolks.
- To assemble, press the pasta over the base of the prepared baking dish.
- Top the pasta evenly with the meat sauce, pour over the topping and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.