Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Real Simple.
- 1 (1 lb) box penne
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- 1⁄3 cup roughly chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as chervil, tarragon, and flat-leaf parsley)
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Reserving 1/3 cup of the water, drain the pasta, then return it to the pot. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, ricotta, and pasta water until a rich, creamy sauce forms.
- Pour the sauce over the hot pasta. Add the herbs, zest, salt, and pepper and toss.
- Tip: Ricotta can vary dramatically in taste and texture. Depending on the brand you use, you may need to add extra pasta water and butter to create a sauce that's sufficiently creamy.