Recipe by Feingold Mom
Simple, easy, yummy. I like the add grilled shrimp or chicken to this.
Top Review by nsomniak6
This is my favorite Aglio E Olio recipe and I first saw it on Cook's Illustrated. I was planning on posting this but since it was already here, I figured I would review it. Cooking the garlic slowly over low heat really enhances the flavor without adding the bitterness of overcooked garlic. I love adding the last TBLSPN at the end as it adds a wonderful garlic punch. I can't really add the red pepper flakes because my kids can't handle any heat. The lemon juice really brightens the flavors also. This is a ridiculously simple recipe that is packed with garlic flavor, it may be overpowering for some people, but I LOVE garlic! Thanks for taking the time to post.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- table salt (see note above)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic, from 1 to 2 heads (about 30 small, 20 medium, 10 large, or 5 extra large cloves)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, coarsely grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, set large heatproof serving bowl on rack and heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil, covered, in large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add pasta and 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt to boiling water, stir to separate pasta, cover, and cook until al dente; reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
- While water is heating, combine 3 tablespoons oil, 3 tablespoons garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon table salt or sea salt flakes in heavy-bottomed nonstick 10-inch skillet; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is sticky and straw-colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Off heat, add remaining tablespoon raw garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water to skillet and stir well to keep garlic from clumping.
- Transfer drained pasta to warm serving bowl; add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and remaining reserved pasta cooking water and toss to coat. Add garlic mixture and 3/4 teaspoon table salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes to pasta; toss well to combine. Serve immediately, sprinkling individual bowls with portion of Parmesan, if desired.