Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy pasta recipe modified from foodnetwork.com website.
Make and share this Pasta With Chickpeas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups whole wheat penne
- 1 head escarole, chopped (or substitute gai choy, kale, Swiss chard, spinach)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained and patted dry
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, crushed slightly, liquid reserved
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus more for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Add the escarole to pasta water during the last 2 minutes, cover and do not stir.
- Remove the escarole with tongs; set aside.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- For the capers, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the capers and fry until crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the skillet. Cook the garlic, parsley and red pepper flakes until the garlic toasts slightly, 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, a pinch of salt and the bay leaves. Cook until the tomatoes and chickpeas brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add the escarole and reserved tomato juice and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 4 more minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and toss with the sauce.
- Stir in the cheese and top with fried capers, if using, and more cheese.